Thursday 8 March 2012

viola and aquilegia seeds germinating


So, now I think 7 out of 10 viola seeds had germinated yesterday, with tiny sets of 2 pale green leaves each. 4 of them were getting very long so I have planted these in a pot of compost and put them on the windowsill where they are getting greener and opening their leaves.






Also, 1 of 4 aquilegia seeds had finally germinated after 10 days! (see below. Another looked about to burst its seed shell). This way might still be quicker than the ones in compost, or at least I can't see those yet. They have been in there about a week longer.

Have now added some mesembryanthemum (livingstone daisy) seeds to the bag, this time only on kitchen roll rather than filter paper. I got some of them to grow last year in compost, but once out in the garden the young plants struggled and flopped over. I will try to keep them indoors until they're bigger this year. I wanted to try planting in cat litter (diachotomaceous earth type) because I've read that you can, but it seems a bit excessive for me to buy a big bag just for them! Even though cheaper than buying cactus media. I ended up buying a full size plant last year after the seedlings died, which now looks like the frost have killed it but I have cut back the dead bits and will wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment