Friday 16 March 2012

thrifty seed ideas


I had seen people elsewhere on the web saying that you could use toilet roll cardboard inners to make cheap biodegradable pots, also that they are good for transferring young plants to outside without having to disturb their roots. I am trying some salad leaves as it is too early to grow these outside yet. Rocket and mustard Oriental Pizzo. Rocket grows very fast - this is only a few days after sowing.

I read in Alys Fowler's inspiring book "the Thrifty Gardener" that many grocery items or seeds from fruits/veg you buy can be planted. She suggested chick peas and pomegranates amongst others, to make nice house plants (chances of an actual crop will be low but they should look nice), so I am trying both. The chick pea is beginning to grow as you can see. I just sprouted some dried chick peas from a packet for a few days (soaking then rinsing) and planted a few in a pot of compost.


Finally, some seeds planted in egg shells (eggs halved and cleaned then put back in the egg box). I have planted a few different flower seeds. Again, I think you can plant on in the shells (will need to crack open the bottom to let the roots get out, the egg shell should slowly break down and put calcium to the soil.)


No comments:

Post a Comment