Sunday 30 January 2011

Family tree


I have been interested in genealogy for several years now, though it is only the last few that I have been spending long hours researching my family tree. I have been a member of Ancestry.co.uk for a year and a half and have found a lot of stuff on there. Also on the web in general including Google News Archives.

Some of the most "distinguished" (ie well known in their time) can be the easiest to find information on, but still often the most interesting too. These are my ancestors the Mitchells and the Johnstons (Johnstons their less known relatives) in Wisconsin. Alexander Mitchell (1817-1887) was a railroad and banking magnate, also a member of Congress. His grandson Billy Mitchell was an army General described by some as "father of the US Air Force". It is quite a nice feeling to see your ancestors on Wikipedia :)

Alexander and his nephew John Johnston both arrived in the US from Scotland so I have roots there too. Scottish ancestors have been doctors, farmers and coalminers.

Of course other people in the tree interest me as much, and there is more difficulty in finding information and piecing the puzzles together from what I know making it more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment